This unique book, written by professionals in the field, explains how and why misunderstandings occur between us and our canine companions, and how we can work to resolve them. It aims to help us adjust the way we interact with our dogs, in order to help our dogs be well behaved, whilst at the same time enabling us to enjoy fulfilling relationships and a good quality of life with them.
- Clear descriptions of the differences between people and dogs in their perspectives and expectations
- Clear explanations of where and why conflict may arise in the dog/owner relationship
- An explanation of why dogs may experience stress; why this causes problems, and how to minimise it
- Practical tips for changing people's behaviour to minimise conflict with dogs
- Detailed explanations of how to help dogs learn those things that are important for them to help fit comfortably into human society
- Clear explanations of why dogs may sometimes find it difficult to learn things
- Practical ideas for ensuring dog welfare while simultaneously building the dog/owner relationship
- Detailed descriptions of how to create a safe haven and a secure base for a dog
- Specially-taken, descriptive photographs help explain and illustrate the text
- Worksheets for each chapter help owners work through the book's concepts
Dogs have shared our lives for thousands of years to the benefit of both species. However, it's only relatively recently that dogs, in many societies, have lived primarily as companions within the heart of the home.
This close relationship, together with society's expectations of dogs, can pose problems. All relationships have challenges, and where individuals of different species live closely together, these can be magnified, and misunderstandings occur. These can lead to fractures in the family/dog relationship, and, in some cases, result in dogs developing behaviours that are problematic for us.
This unique book, written by professionals in the field, explains how and why many of these misunderstandings occur, and how we can work to resolve them. It aims to help us adjust the way we interact with our dogs, in order to help our dogs be well behaved, whilst at the same time enabling us to enjoy fulfilling relationships and a good quality of life with them.
Especially commissioned images illustrate the text, and worksheets are provided to help owners focus on the areas where their dog and situation can benefit from applying the suggestions made.